Wednesday 25 October 2017

Charities that try just a little too hard

I wrote last month that SWMBO took part in the Alzheimer’s Society Memory Walk in Norwich with her sister, her brother and his wife, raising more than £1,200 through generous donations from family and friends.
Like most other charities, the AS is undoubtedly a wonderful organisation – willing people putting others first and using the great British public to provide help and support to many, many people.
But some charities can drive me crazy sometimes.
Their actions can border on the pestering. They think the endless emails, letters and phone calls are simple, sensible methods of keeping their supporters active and, more importantly, giving.
Fundraisers use their time to raise valuable money for good causes. In the meantime too much of that money is, to my mind, being used on staffing, phone charges, postage, printing etc.
I don’t need a letter asking me to send a donation to the people affected by the latest man-made or natural disaster. And I certainly don’t want a phone call.
I can make up my own mind on what I want to support and where I want to send my money. Pity I can’t have a say on HOW it is spent.

1 comment:

  1. sheena.rotarysilves@gmail.com26 October 2017 at 09:11

    While I understand what you are saying Mike, I cannot agree that you don't have a voice. Many charity organisations need input from we mere mortals. We are investors in the charities we support and honestly, I wish all charities would employ the very best people to ensure that the very best use is made of the funds raised. After all, we would not invest in a company that did not have a fine track record. So to Mike's one follower (!) keep giving - no matter how little you have it is more than many others have. Sheena - Proud to be a Rotarian.

    ReplyDelete