Friday 10 March 2017

More proof that it pays to shop around
Most modern vehicles are, in reality, sophisticated computers on wheels.
But the on-board electronics can be, at times, just a little bit too clever.
Warning lights, signs and sounds abound. If your tyre pressure is low, your car will tell you.
Back in the day you knew the tyre pressure on your Mk1 Ford Cortina was low when the steering went wobbly and you became acquainted with a verge or, worst case scenario, a ditch.
An audible warning sounded earlier this week as SWMBO started up my car.
A loud beep as the car jumped into life was accompanied by a message on that little screen you glimpse through the steering wheel. Oil Service, it said.
Naturally, SWMBO reported this incident to her transport assistant, aka me. She was a little worried as she thought, quite naturally, that the oil was low.
Fortunately I had come across this warning in a previous car. The garage where we have our cars serviced programmes the computer to remind you when you are getting close to your next service.
So, there was no problem with the oil, but just a reminder. I don’t have a problem with that but the blessed warning will now strike ever time the car is started until we follow orders and take it in for its next service.
This, rather neatly I feel, leads me on to the nub of this missive.
Maybe it’s just me but you would think a standard service carried at a dealership for your particular make and model would cost the same whichever dealer you chose.
Wrong. I called three Ford (for it is they) dealers and prices quoted for EXACTLY the same service were £336, £295 and £245, all including labour and VAT.
The £91 I’ll be saving is an awful lot of wine.


Do you use Google maps? Do you trust Google maps?
Be careful as all is sometimes not what it seems.
I was searching on Google for a planning application in my local metropolis, Bury St. Edmunds.
I couldn’t find the details anywhere (maybe an application has not been submitted yet?) but Google, very helpfully, gave me a taster of a Google map with the applicant, which is currently a store, pinpointed on it.
Yep, there it was, right in the middle of town – in the middle of Nowton Park.
Which is not in the middle of town but a mile or two outside.
I’ve let Google know. Because worse than them making a mistake is a punter who knows it’s a mistake not telling them.

No comments:

Post a Comment